Saturday, April 30, 2011

Workin' it out (...83)

12 mile run in Boston

Today I added the "Daily Mile" widget to my blog.  Once I joined dailymile.com, it's a simple click and the widget appears.  What a fun way to track my miles!

Since this blog is about finding satisfying work, I think it makes sense to take note of the things I firmly sink my teeth into on a regular basis.  My training is the first thing that comes to mind.  I'm a happy person if I can fit in a weekly swim, bike and run workout.  I'm even more delighted if I can train with friends and see cool sites.  An example:  This morning a 12 mile run with a friend took us through Boston, along the harbor, and back into the city.  It was a windy, arduous workout.  And invigorating!

Several things draw me to train: the health benefits, the fun of competition, and my friends.  But I think what stands out most is the experience of continuously improving on my fitness and skill.  In regards to training, slowly and steadily learning to master my sport is the only carrot I need. 

Can I find this type of experience in my next job?  I want to be in a workplace environment where my efforts are encouraged and my development as an employee is connected to the success of the company.  Too few times have I felt this was the case.  More often, I've been given the impression that sticking to the routine was valued more than trying to improve the routine.  It's the kind of experience that makes me want to go for a run.

1 comment:

  1. Regina, I so much enjoy this connection with you.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete