Thursday, July 7, 2011

From the Page to the Ceiling (...14)

I read a bit online about how to layout recessed lighting in a kitchen.  It's pretty dry reading unless you're without a general contractor and need to make the right decision down to the inch on your own.  There's rules for everything!  Depending on how high your ceilings are and the diameter of the lighting cans you select, you can make different decisions about the distance you place lights from the wall and from each other.  After a little bit of research I went with the 5" cans, placed 3 feet from the walls and 4 feet from each other, near major work areas.  Over the island I'm going with 4" cans, placed 1/3 of the way in from the ends of the island.

After the research, I added the lights to my kitchen layout:



Today the holes were cut and cable was strung through my ceiling like shoe laces:


I hope this works like I'm expecting.  It has to be better than the one, funky looking Ikea light that's been the only source of light in the kitchen up to now.  And to think I'll be able to turn the light on and off from every entryway...with a dimmer option...with a separate control for the island...Hooray!  It's hard to imagine having these kinds of functional features in my own home.  Very exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! So cool to see the progress on the new lights. Between the washer/dryer, plumbing, lights, granite, cabinets and pantry(did I miss anything? :)), things are really coming together. Great job O'Toole!
    XO - Ready, Fire, Aim

    ReplyDelete