Saturday, June 18, 2011

Can You Beat This Bittman? (...33)

Mark Bittman's book on grilling came out on the kindle 2 days ago for 99 cents.  I haven't downloaded it yet but I will.  For just pennies, how could I not!  He's a longtime favorite ex-NYTimes columnist.  I've delighted in many a meal I've cooked from his blog.

Grilling will soon become my modus operandi for June and July meal prep.  Not only will I be without a range for a while as my kitchen undergoes a facelift, but my CSA (community shared agriculture) farm shares begin July 1.  Anything I buy there is good grilled.  I'm dying for the heirloom tomatoes Busa Farm, where I participate in the CSA, grows.  If you haven't had an heirloom tomato, you haven't had a tomato. 



Homemade Margaritas have become the drink du jour every day around these parts... 

Can you beat these Bittman?

These lovely raw meat patties are the about-to-be-impossible-to-resist-Rosemary-Sage-Burgers, that I grill every summer.  It's the 3rd time I've made them this year.  They're FAN-TASTIC.  I don't eat them like a regular burger with a bun.  The herbs and onion and meat are so tasty and filling, the bun is unnecessary.  Plus, this leaves room for ever necessary ice cream!

R-S Burgers Recipe (makes 4 burgers)
 1/2 lb extra-lean ground round beef
 1/2 lb lean ground pork
 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
 1/3 cup chopped onion
 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
 1/4 tsp salt
 1 cup baby spinach leaves

Preheat grill to medium high. Combine beef, pork, rosemary, sage, and salt in a medium-sized bowl; form into 4 patties.  Grill patties 4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.  Don't ask yourself why one patty is artistically shaped into an oval instead of the standard burger circle.  

Bite.  Chew.  Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment