Monday, May 23, 2011

The Dull and the Delicious (...60)

My car's funky electrical problem of a few weeks back was solved today, but not without pain.  My appointment was for 10am at the Volkswagon dealer. The over the phone estimate of 2 hours turned into 5 and lots of $.  The door had to be taken apart and put back together twice to address a faulty door sensor on the driver side.  Just about every hour I was given an update and told it would be a little longer so I stayed put thinking the end was near.  I grew very hungry in the waiting area.  Luckily there was a snack station with coffee, tea, and this old fashioned looking popcorn machine.

It's somewhat dull waiting at a car dealer for many hours, but I munched on popcorn and broke my boredom reading the book Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand.  It's for my book club, but wow am I glad it's on our list!  In a nutshell, it's about Louie Zamperini, a 1930s track star turned WWII survivor who faces one stunning challenge after another.  I like any well written novel about resilience and this one is riveting. 

Funnily enough, this story reminded me of another survival story of sorts, by another Louie, but spelled Luis.  Luis Tiant, a baseball player from Havana, Cuba is the subject of the documentary "Lost Son of Havana" which I saw a few years ago at a local film festival.  It tells the story of Tiant leaving Cuba and his entire family, during the start of the Cuban embargo, and the trials and victories he  experienced playing baseball for several major league teams.  He overcame debilitating shoulder injuries as well as the personal pain of being isolated, in exile from Cuba, for most of his adult life.  Anybody who watches this documentary, baseball fan or not, will cry, as I did.

After 5 hours of book reading pleasure, I jetta'd from the VW dealer and stopped off at Bedford Farms Ice Cream which was conveniently across the street...My "Taste Test" has been documented here.

Bedford Farms Ice Cream Stand in Bedford, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment