Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Free Cake & Expensive Yogurt (...80)

To my delight I received a postcard from Starbucks, offering a FREE Cake Pop!  I would never buy one of these funny treats.  They're cute, but I think most Starbucks food is tasteless and usually any gimmicky food creations are far worse.  But if its free, I'll try it!  So on my way to an informational interview yesterday I stopped in at Starbucks to collect this free treat.  I chose the Rocky Road Cake Pop and it was...gross. Not good, like swallowing a tablespoon of canola oil.  The only redeeming quality was the clever packaging.  Since I'm monitoring my spending, especially on expensive coffee shop treats, I should be grateful for a free one, but this one left me sad and still hungry.  So when I got home I went to one of my favorite cooking blogs and made this recipe: Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Dee-licious.  









While grocery shopping for the cookie ingredients, I did a little comparison shopping at two stores, TJs and Whole Foods, specifically to check out the cost of Fage Greek Yogurt.  I eat this stuff nearly every day. It's an expensive habit!  It's not a shock that TJs is 30 cents cheaper, but seeing the price in black and white makes me shocked I'm still buying it.
Trader Joe's $3.99
Whole Foods $4.29

I MUST BREAK THIS HABIT. Yogurt is good for me (protein source plus all those live cultures help my immune system) but bad for my wallet.  I think I'm going to ask my friend (Doug, you know I'm talkin' to you) to teach me how to make yogurt at home.  It should save me a bundle and it tastes even better than store bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment